Patient Profile: For Gene Hayes, CPAP Replaces Mid-Day Naps

A former middle school principal, corporate educator, and software marketer, 79 year-old Gene Hayes of Alpharetta, Georgia, never thought about slowing down.

But in 2003, he noticed a drowsiness around mid-day, and naps became part of his daily routine. “That wasn’t like me. I just chalked it up to age,” Gene recalls. “I also thought that surgeries on my hip and knee had taken their toll.”

Earlier on a sales trip, Gene shared a hotel room with a son. They were attempting to build a software business together to help school administrators track textbooks. “My son complained that my loud snoring had kept him up. When we got home, my wife agreed I was a loud snorer, but she thought it was normal and had learned to sleep through it.”

We visited a pulmonologist who arranged a sleep study. “The study in 2009 showed I was having over 40 apnea episodes every hour, so even though I was in bed for 7 – 8 hours, I never really got the deep REM sleep your body needs. When the doctor prescribed CPAP therapy, my son suggested we contact his old childhood friend, Eric Cohen, a cofounder and president of National Sleep Therapy (NST).

“From the outset, I was truly impressed with the personal attention and detailed instruction I received from Eric and his NST staff. Based on the doctor’s orders, I received a top-of-the-line CPAP device and mask and even got follow-up live support sessions via Skype -- which was very convenient for me. Whenever I have questions, there’s an FAQ section and helpful videos on their website (www.nstherapy.com). The staff checks in on me and when I call them, they are responsive. I order supplies as needed. And I really look forward to their monthly ‘CPAP Talk Live!’ virtual support session conference call where CPAP users and health care pros share tips and solutions. I always recommend National Sleep Therapy to sleepless friends in Georgia.”

Gene likes the fact that he has so much energy to devote to his avocation in church ministry. He serves as a Scripture reader at the local church, and posts weekly commentary on his website that monthly attracts 1,500 visitors.

Best of all, Gene isn’t snoring any more. “I get a great 8 or 9 hours of sleep every night. My wife is happy. The doctor is happy. And I’m ecstatic that I’m wide awake when we visit our 5 adult offspring and their 14 children – whether at home or visiting them in Austin, Dallas, Spokane or Anchorage. And when we travel, my CPAP travels with us!”

By Stanley Hurwitz / stanhurwitz@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment